Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Positive Classroom Management

Hey all! I have taught for 17 years and had some amazing classes and some not so amazing classes. I've always found it fascinating how one child can change the entire atmosphere of a classroom - positive or otherwise. I always knew it was my fault when my classroom was in an uproar, but I had no positive solutions to control the chaos. After many years of trial and error, I found several solutions that work and ones that I like putting into motion. I am not the guru of classroom management, so please share your ideas and resources, too.

I like kids and I like working with kids. I love their perspective. I appreciate their humor. Most of all, I like how they are all about fun. My first teaching job was at a private school. The advice I got to control the kids' behavior from my former high school principal who was now my elementary school boss:

  • Be strict and don't smile a lot for a month. 
  • You can always be kinder, but you cannot be more strict.
  • Act like you're in control and you will be.
  • Be consistent.
  • Have consequences for misbehavior.
That advice has continued to make sense, and I continue to use it. I loved Julienne. She was an amazing woman. She was a force, like my mama. Both ladies I miss every day. They could take clay and look at it. Next thing you know, you'd have a lion - painted and fired. Poof! Wow!

Anyway...

In my classroom, I like to smile. I like to have fun, and I want the students in my class to learn and enjoy it. So, here are some positive ways to keep your class a warm and caring learning environment. Pick and choose what works for you. There are some essentials that I've indicated with a *.

  • Plug into Positivity $4 resource from Teachers Pay Teachers that I created. You make clips and have the students move their clips onto the positive character trait that you catch them exhibiting. I like the idea of kids moving clips, and talking about good character.
  • Move your students into groups of four. Allow tables to create a name for themselves. Give tables points for positive behavior: table that is ready to learn the quickest, table that is working hard, table that is participating the most in discussions, etc. At the end of the day, the table with the most points gets to choose a prize from the box. (You provide the prizes or get parents involved. Parents always have treats/small toys to share.)
  • Pass out tickets to students who are exhibiting good behavior. Students put their names on the tickets and place them in a prize box. Draw names at the end of the day for prizes. Here's another version of a ticket that's great for younger kids! http://www.ateenytinyteacher.com/i-dont-use-clip-chart-please-dont-throw/ 
  • *Compliment students with  100 Ways to Praise a Child 
  • Use Love and Logic. Love and Logic in the Classroom This gives empathy and choices to students. Training is available online and workshops are offered, too.
  • *Sweat the small stuff BEFORE it becomes big stuff. Kindly take care of the small problems by walking the classroom and praising students. When students misbehave, I've asked them to stop. I've said, "I need you to ______." (insert the behavior I need my students to be doing) Walking the classroom stops a lot of behaviors before they start.
  • Bring the class together as a team. Classroom building activities from Scholastic These team-building exercises can be done everyday or once a week. I did them once a week and the students and I loved it! Another resource is The Morning Meeting Book
  • *Have a "Stop what you're doing and look at me" signal. I've said, "Red Robin" and the students replied, "Yum!" Here are some other resources and another resource and Call and Response ideas
  • *For the first two weeks of school, practice how you expect the students to act. Make them do it perfectly. Expect greatness and you will get it.
Get your game face on! You got this! Comment with your tips and resources, too, please. 

No comments:

Post a Comment